Frequently Asked Questions
- What is SwapMyGames?
- Is it really 100% FREE?
- How does SwapMyGames work?
- What time zone does SwapMyGames use?
- Is SwapMyGames available in my country?
- What is a UPC code?
- What should I include in the "comment field" when I list an item?
- Can I add games to my list without offering them up for trade?
- I don't know what games I want.
Security, safety, legal, etc.
- topWhat is SwapMyGames?
- SwapMyGames is a website that allows video game owners to trade their unwanted video games in exchange for desired ones for absolutely FREE. We are a group of friends who's been enjoying the convenience and practicality of trading video games amongst ourselves for years, and had the idea of adapting this principle on a larger scale - in a form of a website. Our goal was to expand it into a community that safely trades games for free, which in effect contributes to saving the environment. That's right; we do not charge any fees for you to enjoy the games you truly want to play. We will tell you how far the user with the game of your choice is located from you and all you need to do is choose whether you want to meet up and exchange your video games or ship them to one another. Trade your video games as often as you like and play what you want.
- topAre there any charges at all or is it 100% FREE?
- SwapMyGames is a totally free service; there are no fees at all! It's a community-based website that brings gamers together for the purpose of free game exchange. If local exchange is not available, the only possible cost to you, our user, is shipping of the games. We will always attempt to find a member to trade with locally so that you don't have to worry about postage altogether. We make it free and simple!
- topHow does SwapMyGames work?
SwapMyGames makes trading videogames as easy as one, two, three. Step one: begin by listing videogames you own and specify which ones you want to trade. Step two: choose the videogames you want. Step three: swap one of your games for any other game you want, in person or by mail.
To learn more click here.
- topWhat time zone does SwapMyGames use?
- Upon registration and log in, SwapMyGames is designed to auto-detect your current time zone setting from your computer. But you can modify this setting through your account profile page.
- topIs SwapMyGames available in my country?
- SwapMyGames is currently available in United States and Canada. If you want this service to be available in your country contact us and we will gladly consider the expansion.
- topWhat is a UPC code?
- A UPC stands for "Universal Product Code" is a numerical code consisting of 12 numbers. This code is unique to each individual game. It can be found underneath the barcode found on the back of the video games cover.
- topWhat should I include in the "comment field" when I list an item?
- The comment field is intended for the description of the condition of the video game. Any defects, from stains to scratches, should be listed here. The more detailed that your description is the higher the chance that the person receiving this game will be satisfied with the trade because they will know what to expect. Making sure to be upfront and clear about these details will significantly affect your user feedback rating, which means better trading options.
- topCan I add games my Games I Have list without offering them up for trade?
- Definitely! We encourage you to add all of your games to your user profile, which enables you to see the worth of your entire game collection based on current (updated weekly) average retail price. Game is only made available for trade when you indicate its availability.
- topI don't know what games I want.
- Add the games you have to your "games I have list" and other members will send you their trade suggestions.
- topHow do I get started?
Ready to make your first swap or simply find out the worth of your present video game collection? Then begin by adding your games to the Games I Have list. Adding a game is simple. Enter the UPC code (from the back of the game cover) into the "Add Game box located in the top-right corner of every page of the web site.
- topHow do I add video games to my Games I Have list?
- To add a game to your Have list simply enter the UPC code (from the back of the game cover) into the yellow Add Game box located in the top-right corner of every page of the web site.
- topHow do I add video games to my Games I Want list?
- There are two easy ways of adding games to your Games I Want list. You can either do a search by entering the title of the game into the Find Game search box, located on the top of each page, or simply press the Add to want list button anywhere on the site.
- topWhy is it important to add games to your Games I Want list?
- Adding games to your Games I Want list allows the other users to know what games you are interested in receiving in a trade. They would not be able to make a trade request with you without this knowledge.
- topHow do I find items that I can receive?
- Add items to your "games I have list" and use the website game search (top of each page) to find the game(s) you want. You can also add games to your "games I want list" which will allow other members to see your game preferences and increases your chances of getting the games you want.
- topCan I offer up for trade a video game without a cover?
- You can only trade games that include a cover.
- topWhat if the condition of my video game is below the "acceptable" level?
- In the case that the condition of your game is so poor that it is below the "acceptable" level this game cannot be traded on SwapMyGames. We want all of our users to be happy with their trades and receiving games of in poor condition will discourage further use of SwapMyGames.
- topAre all videogames on SwapMyGames traded one-for-one?
- All trades on SwapMyGames are one-for-one, meaning that all items offered for trade are of the same value. However, you will always have the option of accepting or declining trades that are being offered to you.
- topHow can I initiate a trade?
- Click on the "get it now" button located beside the title of the game of your interest. This button is only visible when other users of the site offer it up for trade.
- topWhat should I do to increase my chances of getting the games I want?
- The best way to increase your chances of getting the games you want is by making all of the games you own available for trade. Don't forget that everyone has their own gaming preferences so never underestimate the desirability of the game you have.
- topWhat can I receive for my game?
The trading happens on one-for-one basis (one game in exchange for another). You can receive a brand new game for a10 year old game that you own, because you will find that many of our members don't expect to receive games of the same dollar value. It's a matter of taste and gaming preference so no old or new game is considered good or bad; they are all desired by one or another gamer. Additionally, you can often find games on the website that are no longer available in stores and are not otherwise accessible. How simple is it to use SwapMyGames? Not only is registration quick, simple, and free but the website itself is user-friendly and easy to navigate. Adding a game is very simple. All you need to do is enter the UPC code from the back of the cover and SwapMyGames will get the rest of the information (title, images, description, and even reviews).
SwapMyGames is for anyone who has a game to trade, be it a die-hard gamer or parents trading games for their kids. Whether you are computer savvy or not, you will find SwapMyGames easy and fun to use.
- topIs it legal to trade game on SwapMyGames?
- topWhy am I required to enter a UPC code when adding a game to my Games I Have list
- Even though it is more complicated to read the numbers of the back of the cover a^?? it allows for a much quicker and easier entry of each game that you own into your have list. There are a number of other answers to this question but herea^??re some of them. To provide with the estimated value of your games we lookup multiple databases and ecommerce services by UPC number; and, UPC is the only unique identifier for each game. Another important reason is that our database is pre-filled with the information and pictures about every game that is available on the market. We want our users to have a very simple way of adding games to their have lists and at the same time provide a massive chunk of detailed information about each game to our visitors. We only require you to enter in a UPC of the game and an additional comment about the specifics of this particular game (such as rips, cracks, scratches, etc.) we will automatically fill-in everything else about this item for you, allowing for detailed and accurate listings. We also require that each game listed for trade on swapmygames.com has a cover-box for it; by asking you to enter in the UPC code we also verify that the game that is being added to have list has the cover.
- topCan I trade burned copies of a video game?
- No because it is considered to be piracy. Most, if not all, games are protected by copyright and licensing laws and SwapMyGames does not endorse or allow violating them.
- We respect and uphold the confidentiality of the users' registration details and would never do anything to compromise that.
- topIs it Safe?
- SwapMyGames's team of developers has implemented a positive/negative feedback rating system and a number of other safety triggers and precautions to minimize fraudulent activity on the website. We cannot disclose all of the safety precautions in the interest of preserving their effectiveness.
- topWho pays for shipping when making a trade?
- You are responsible of paying shipping for the item that you are trading.
- topWhat are the shipping charges if I cannot find a local option?
- We recommend using the cheapest shipping service that provides a tracking number (for user safety), through your local post office. We know that in the US the cheapest shipping service that provides tracking confirmation is USPS first class mail, which costs approximately $2.50. While in Canada, shipping charges will vary between approximately $0.50 without tracking number and a couple of dollars for a traceable shipping service. Don't forget to check if local trade options are available for a quicker trade.
- topWhat are the shipping charges if I can't find a local option?
- We recommend using the cheapest shipping service that provides a tracking number (for user safety), through your local post office. We know that in the US the cheapest shipping service that provides tracking confirmation is USPS first class mail, which costs approximately $2.50. While in Canada, shipping charges will vary between approximately $0.50 without tracking number and Y for a traceable shipping service. Don't forget to check if local trade options are available for a quicker trade.